Wednesday 4 December 2013

DRAFT EVALUATION 2

How Effective is the Combination of Your Main Product and Ancillary Texts?



Final Poster
Final Digipack


Final Video


Combination of the video and poster
  • Although I had planned for it, my artist ended up not wearing the dress which I had included in the image on the poster. This could have looked unprofessional and as though it wasn't part of the same product, however I think this works quite well and isn't that big of a deal. 
  • The vintage style is continued in the video (through the use of costume and mise en scene) as well as the poster (through the outfit in the image, background and font) which works well and makes all of the products look involved in each other. It was this type of continuity which I wanted to show throughout my products to make sure they all looked authentic.
  • Also, the background on the poster links in well with one of the outfits which she is wearing as it has a similar colour scheme and pattern. This adds to the continuity within all three of my products.

  • I also wanted to use an image on the poster that looked like my artist as I wanted to make sure it all related and went well together therefore the reflection of the artist in the poster ensures that the intended audience know the artist belongs with the product.
Combination of the video and digipack
  • Again, my artist wasn't wearing the blue dress which I had originally planned, however she was wearing a similar style/coloured outfit as the one she is wearing on the panel on the inside of the digipack. 
  • I also made sure that the image I used in the digipack looked like my artist in order to make sure they looked like they belonged to her. I wanted to make sure the digipack related to the singer as I have done research into album covers which don't relate to the artist and I didn't like them as much as the ones which did.
  • I have also continued the mise en scene within both of these products. In the video I have filled the are with a lot of items to give it the vintage theme which I wanted. I have also included a vintage style bird cage on two of the panels in the digipack. Showing these vintage props continues the theme as well as the "cluttered" look which I was going for.

Combination of the poster and digipack
  • Same image- I have us ed the same image on my poster as  have on the cover of my digipack. I feek that this gives a more professional approach and will ensure that my target audience would know that the products were both adverytsing the same thing. For example, if they saw the poster advertising the CD, they would easily be able to recognise the album in a shop because it looks so alike. 

  • Same record label- Parlephone. I have done this as it creates a brand identity and is more of a marketing ploy. The record label is the label that will have paid for the album to be made and so therefore use their logo/branding on the cover and poster.
  • Same font- this adds continuity and means that people would be able to recognise the CD when they see it in a shop after seeing the advertising poster because they use the same font. This creates a brand for my artist (which has been done for other artists including Oasis who were one of the best selling bands) and means her name/brand/logo will be instantly recognisable

  • Same background- is effective to the target audience as it means that the products have continuity and are recognisable of being part of the same product range for the same artist. This also contiunes the vintage theme which I wanted to portray within my products links well with each other as well as collectively alongside the video.
  • Same style- handmade. I chose to do a handmade sketch design on both my digipack and poster because I thought it represented the indie and folk influences of the song. After looking at various album covers from these genres, a hand made look was often used and so using this look on my products meant that they looked more authentic. This look also meant that the intended target audience would recognise these conventions as being part of those specific genres- the genres which they are interested in- which would spark an interest in the album/poster.
  • Same colours- the same colour scheme makes both the digipack and poster look as though they are part of the same marketing ploy which is the main reasoning for the products. The vintage colours also means that both the products link in with the video. This relflects the style which I planned to use and the styles shown in the videos which I analysed that were aimed at a similar target audience as my video is. 




Marketing Ploy

The products which I have created all form a marketing ploy which will be used in order to promote the song and the artist. The poster used advertises the CD which the target audience will (hopefully) want to buy, the CD digipack will then advertise the "new single" which would then push the target audience to go online and look at the video.

This kind of marketing ploy is something which music labels (such as Parlephone- the music label which my "artist" is signed to) would use as it would reach out to a wide audience. The video is a fairly cheap way of ensuring a lot of people the song and begin to hear about the artist which would spark an interest in the artist amongst the intended target audience. This interest would then continue to grow as they see the poster and digipack which would then lead to the artist gaining a bigger status within the music industry and then gaining a bigger following- this is achieved through social media sites such as Twitter (which my artist has), Instagram, Facebook and Tumblr. These social media sites are commonly used by my intended target audience and so would be easy for them to keep up to date with my artist and find out the latest news.

1 comment:

  1. very comprehensive. Remember you can use some of that audience feedback that you get to help explain how succesful you have been.

    Also some of the theory you should be using for Q1 with regards star image should be applicable here.

    http://mrsmitha2musicvideo.blogspot.co.uk/2012_09_01_archive.html
    http://mrsmitha2musicvideo.blogspot.co.uk/2010_06_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete