Thursday 5 December 2013

DRAFT EVALUATION 3

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

BLOG FEEDBACK

I received feedback from my peers in class throughout the research and planning as well as making. This helped me realise what I needed to do in order to make my idea better or more specific.  

MOOD BOARD


The reason for my mood board was to show the theme and style which I wanted to portray in my final video and digipack. The look I wanted was vintage which is why I have included the vintage items and clothing and I wanted it to be very busy which is why the overall mood board was very scattered and busy. 
My teacher: MR FORD said that he liked the idea and that it encapsulated my vision very well. To me, this meant that he liked the idea and that I should run with it. 


SUMMER MEDIA WORK



The comment told me that I needed to do a more full extended analysis of some music videos in order to broaden my knowledge in the concepts used. From this, I did some music video analysis which tool some time but really helped me to understand how certain concepts reflect the genre of music chosen in the video. This was particularly relevant in the Capital Cities- Safe and Sound video. 
This also suggested that I looked at other students work for guidance, from this I have regularly looked at work done by other students to ensure that the quality of my work is up to the right standard. This has helped me to understand tasks better and to see how peers present their ideas. 


ARTIST NAME



The comment says I should explain why I have chosen this name. This then lead me to think deeply about the name I should use in order for it to reflect the genre as well as the intended target audience. After this feedback, I then did a post explaining why I had chosen "Allie James" as the name for my artist.


ARTIST COMPARISON



My feedback from my teacher showed that the artist and styling which I was comparing my artist with was good to do comparisons with because they are of the same gender, genre and aim their products at a similar target audience which I plan to do. Therefore, it would be good for me to style my artist in similar ways to these artists (this is referred to in evaluation question 1).


FEEDBACK OF BLOG: MID POINT REVIEW



Although I had done some of the work required, my teacher had said that my blog was sparse and needed to include more posts regarding planning. This suggested that I:
- Added an artist biograhy: since I received this feedback, I have done a biography of my artust explaining a bit about where she is from, her parents, friends and how she got into the music business.
- Looked at some location ideas: I have done a post considering a few ideas on where to film my video alongside a brief explanation of why this would be good. I then came to the decision of using none of the locations I had originally decided to do, however this post was useful as it helped to rule out a few locations which I originally thought would be a good idea to use.
- Added audience research page: I did this using UK Tribes which gave me a greater knowledge of the type of people I would be aiming my products at. I found out what they liked, interests and hobbies which helped me when creating the products as I could make them more appealing to the intended target audience by including aspects which they would have found attractive. 
- Create a playlist of songs which inspired my artist: I haven't done this and I probably should have done because they would have been of a similar genre. I could have watched the videos for the songs and got ideas for concepts to use in my video.


FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE VIDEOS



I had just added some of the videos by Florence and The Machine onto my blog to use as inspiration, however this feedback suggested that I analyse the music videos and suggest how I can inorporate sections of this into my own music video. I then edited the post and included comments on the use of; mise en scene, lighting, camera shots/angles and editing techniques and how these could be modified and  included in my video. 


MUSIC VIDEO ANALYSIS



This feedback said that my analytical skills when talking about the video were good, however they needed to be more reflective and include a comment on how I can take inspiration from the videos and use it in my video in order to make the analysis more worth while in terms of making a music video after doing the research.


SONG CHOICE



My teacher said that I needed to include information on why I have chosen this song and I have included a post with the reasoning for the song choice. These included things such as me knowing the target audience well as I would be counted as a member of the intended target audience.


LYRICS AND TIMINGS



The feedback on this post was to include more information on my filming regarding shots, speed of editing, etc as this would help me when creating my storyboard and then my final video, however I didnt do this as I didnt have an idea so didnt know what information to include. 
In hindsight I should definitely have done this as it would have made story boarding a lot easier and I wouldn't have struggled as much to come up with a concept for my video.

PITCH



I received feedback from peers. The overall view was that they liked the idea of creating a vintage theme running throughout the video as well as the fact my idea of how I wanted it to be styled was very clear. However I was a bit vague in certain aspects of my pitch (one example being I didnt have a specific song at this point in the research which most other students did).


POSSIBLE MISE EN SCENE



The overall comment from the teacher was that my ideas for the mise en scene were good, however he wasn't sure of which items I would definitely be able to use. He suggested doing another post on the mise en scene I had available to me which I would be able to use in the video. I didn't do this before my first draft filming session and so when it came to it I found it difficult as I didn't know what props to use. This, however, changed before filming my second draft of my music video as I had created a post on what mise en scene I was going to use which made it a lot easier and less rushed/stressful on the day of filming.


FIRST DRAFT VIDEO


This feedback from my teacher showed what I had done well and had given his advice on what I needed to do in order to make it better and to achieve a higher grade. The image above shows the A4 document he wrote on describing how I needed to do things (aka re film the entire video) and how to do this to gain marks. I took this feedback onboard and printed the sheet out and took it to filming where I then did everything he suggested and ticked them off along the way. This ensured that I used everything I needed to in order to improve my video from 19/40 to a higher grade. 


MORE??

In order to gain more feedback on my video from people who would be considered the "intended target audience", I am going to do a film screening to ten people in order to get their opinions regarding the video.
I have made a list of these people:

This is the list. All of these people are between the age of 15 and 25 which is the age I believe my target audience would be. It is important to see whether or not they like it because otherwise my research and planning would have lead me to believe the wrong things about their tastes and would have failed in entertaining and appealing to the audience. In order to get their opinions, I am going to make a questionnaire which I can hand to them to fill in.


I am also going to show the video to some males because I need to see if they don't like the video as I have anticipated throughout my research and planning. This will reinforce that my video is aimed at females and so therefore females will like it more than males do. The list of boys I am going to show the video to is shown above.

I have created a questionnaire for these people to fill in so I can gather data and see if my video appeals to the right target audience and why it appeals to them. I also need to do the same with my digipack and poster because all 3 products are promoting the same thing (my artist/sing/genre) and so all 3 need to be appealing to the same, correct target audience.




I have planned for all of the people to watch the video and look at the digipack and poster which I have made to see what they think of it and to gain honest feedback from the intended target audience.

I have created a questionnaire to give to the people watching my video in order to gain their feedback. This should give me information on whether or not my products appeal to the people I have aimed it at and also to see which elements of the video/digipack/poster they like the best. I have done mainly one word answers which is good as sometimes, when asking for feedback, people dont want to write really detailed answers and may not give their true opinion in order to save time when writing down the answers so by only asking for one word or very short answers, this ensures I will get their honest opinions. Also, by making sure I wasn't asking too many questions (it is a quarter of an A4 sheet of paper) I can be sure that the target audience answer all of the questions honestly.

1 comment:

  1. Try and get a questionnaire devised so you can get really specific feedback on your video. You also need to consider how you will present your ideas for this question. Will you film the premier? Will you film your response to the feedback?

    ReplyDelete