Friday 13 September 2013

MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS EXTENDED ANALYSIS




MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS- PRIMADONNA GIRL

I like this video because it is fun and has a vintage style which I really like the look of. I intend to use an upbeat song in my music video which could incorporate the vintage style shown in this video.

Genre: indie pop/dance pop
Genre characteristics: dancing, effects, lip syncing, instruments (piano)
Relationship between lyrics and visuals: 
Relationship between music and visuals:
Are there close ups of the artist/star image motifs: there are a lot of close ups on the main singer for the audience to see and recognise
Is there reference to the notion of looking:
Are there inter-textual references:
Is the video illustration, disjunction or amplification:

EXTENDED ANALYSIS

1 Why did you chose the text you are analysing?
I chose this text because it is a fun music video to watch and I want to convey the same energy which they do in the video. I like the vintage style which has been adopted and I would like to use the same style as I think it is interesting. The song which I have chosen is supposed to appeal to me and I like the vintage style so therefore it would appeal to my intended target audience.

2 In what context did you encounter it?
I encountered it when I was watching a video on YouTube and it was suggested that I watched it so I clicked on the link which took me to the video. I have watched the other bands videos before and so therefore this was suggested as I like the band.

3 What influence do you think this context would have had on your interpretation of it?
I don't think that being on YouTube would have influenced my interpretation as much because I would still have enjoyed watching the video if i saw it somewhere else like on a music channel on the TV.

4 Which conventions of the genre do you recognise in the text?
  • Bright and colourful
  • Close ups on the artist singing
  • Special effects have been used- black and white, home made style
  • Some black and white shots 
  • Costume changes
  • Variety of shot length
  • Location/room changes

5 To what extent does the text stretch the conventions of the genre?
I don't think that this video stretches conventions of the genre as it uses a lot of the conventions which are expected so therefore the conventions are followed, not challenged. The vintage style would suggest a folk edge to the song, however the bright colours and interesting make up show that the genre is definitely pop.

6 Where and why does the text depart from the conventions of the genre? 
The sound of the song is very pop which would suggest it is a new song, however the vintage mise en scene would suggest otherwise. Here, the styling of both the artist and the room. This has been done as it creates an interesting visual for the audience. The quirky style of the video and lack of "normal" pop conventions (full band shots, jumping, dancers, etc) makes the video memorable which is the reason artists create videos. 

7 What sort of audience did you feel the video was aimed at? And how typical do you think this is of the genre/style of music?
I think that this video was aimed at teenagers because of the fun genre (which teenagers stereotypically like) and the video was enjoying, entertaining and fun to watch. I think that this audience is typical of this genre as it is known to be a genre which is aimed at teenagers. The artist is female and fairly young which a young female audience would be able to relate to so therefore I believe the audience is predominantly female. 

8 What sort of people does it assume you are?
It assumes that you are young and are interested in the song. The artist is female and so therefore females would be able to relate to the artist. Marina and The Diamonds are fairly well known amongst younger people and so it is likely that the intended audience would already know/follow the band and would want to buy the song/know about the song regardless of whether or not they have seen the video.

9 What assumptions have been made about your class, gender, age and ethnicity?
The video assumes that you're quite young as the people who like indie pop videos are usually aimed at are teenagers. The gender would be female (as previously explained), however it doesn't specify a class or ethnicity.

10 What interests does it assume you have?

  • Music 
  • YouTube/music channels 
  • Indie pop genre
  • Fashion

11 What relevance does the text have to you?
The video is fairly relevant to me as I am interested in this genre and I have listened to this artist, therefore I have an interest in the video. I also like the styling which may be a reason for me to watch the video, so this appeals to me and is relevant to me.

12 What knowledge does it assume?
It assumes that:
  • You are interested in the indie pop genre 
  • You like the band/artist
  • The video keeps you interested
  • The videos concept is interesting- vintage and unusual

13 To what extent do you resemble the "ideal" reader that the video seeks to position you as?

I am a teenager who enjoys this genre of music and finds the video entertaining and fun to watch so I think that I resemble the ideal listener well. Also, I like the styling which has been used in the video so I am even more of a resemblance to the ideal audience member.

14 Are there any notable shifts in the videos style? If so, what do they involve?
There aren't really any notable shifts in the videos style as it is all vintage with the home made effects, however it flicks from different locations in different outfits in different situations.

15 What response does the video seem to expect from you?
To enjoy the video and to have fun. This could then lead to me watching other videos posted and performed by Capital Cities. This could then lead to the viewers wanting to buy the music or watch the video again

16 How open to negotiation is your response? Are you invited, instructed or coerced to respond in particular ways?
My response to negotiation is not that open to response. I immediately liked the video due to the styling as well as liking the artist regardless of the video. Being a fan makes me like the video more as I think that Marina and The Diamonds are really quirky and interesting which appeals to me. The audience are invited to relate to the artist which would make them enjoy the video. The laughter and faces she makes when she isn't lip syncing makes her seem more normal and so the audience are invited to relate with the artist and enjoy the video.

17 Is there a penalty for not responding in the expected way?
There isn't really a penalty for not feeling a certain way, however the main point of the video is to have fun (as the song is quite fun to listen to and the artist included in the video is having fun) so it is expected that you have fun when watching it. If you don't have fun there is no penalty it just shows that you are not the expected target audience

18 To what extent do you find yourself "reading against the grain" of the text and the genre?
I don't really find myself reading against the grain of the text and genre as I just watch the video and enjoy watching it. The bright colours and quirky styling is eye catching and draws you into the video.

19 How typical do you think this video is of music videos?
I think that this video is very typical of music videos as there are lots of conventions included. This doesn't make it very unique, however the styling makes it quite original in this genre and originality is something which should be there in all music videos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment